Through his long career at the UN, Sergio Vieira de Mello was always deeply involved with humanitarian issues and a strong supporter of those working to achieve peace in conflicts in all war situations around the globe, from Kosovo to the Great Lakes, from East Timor to Bosnia.
It is in his memory and to perpetuate his ideal that the Foundation has decided to attribute each year an award to draw world attention to the unnoticed efforts made by an individual, group or an organization having done something special and unique to reconcile people and parties in conflict.
Calls for submission of nominations of awardees are announced on this website. The selection of the winning candidate is made by an independent jury of the Sergio Vieira de Mello Foundation.
Request for nominations for the Sergio Vieira de Mello award
The Sergio Vieira de Mello Foundation was created by Family and friends of Sergio in 2007. One of the aims of the Foundation is to award an Annual Prize in Sergio’s name once a year to individuals, institutions or communities in recognition of outstanding and unique work for peaceful reconciliation between peoples and parties in conflict. The Principals meeting of the IASC (Interagency Standing Committee) endorsed the award programme at their April 2008 meeting in New York.
- Encourage and promote dialogue, co-existence and reconciliation at the local community level as a step towards achieving peace and stability and thereby reducing factors that destabilize and displace vulnerable populations.
- Recognize and draw the world’s attention to the often unnoticed worthy efforts of individuals, groups and organizations at the local community level who in their special traditional peace-building mechanisms bring about dialogue and reconciliation to war torn societies for other communities supported by the international communities, to emulate.
- Encourage and inspire humanitarian actors to perform beyond the call of duty in alleviating the suffering of victims of conflict by providing effective humanitarian assistance and saving lives.
Criteria for Selecting Candidates for the Award
The Award is conferred on an individual(s), a group or an organization based on a number of selection criteria. These include:
- The candidates are authentic verifiable community-based entities operating in areas of conflict and as such could be refugees, internally displaced persons or persons affected by conflict.
- Achievements for which candidates are selected are innovative and unique, and affect the lives and well-being of a substantive segment of the community positively by promoting reconciliation and dialogue between opposing communities.
- A high probability that the initiative can be sustained and replicated in similar communities elsewhere.
- Reconciliation and Co-existence resulting from the initiative is measurable, verifiable and sustainable
- Achievement is appreciated and valued by the community
- Anybody can nominate any individual or organization. However neither individuals nor organizations can nominate themselves.
- Each nominee should have at least two sponsors who could be contacted if needed.
- Nominations for the 2015 award should reach the Sergio Vieira de Mello Foundation before 30 April 2015 either by e-mail at: [email protected], by post or using the following form.
- The selection of the winning candidate is made by an independent Jury of the Sergio Vieira de Mello Foundation.
- Support material is welcome, however any documentation attached to the nomination form should be copies as none will be returned.
- Should the candidate reach the final stage of the selection procedure, the SVdM Foundation may request further information and documentation concerning candidates, and reserves the right to make the names of the short-listed candidates public.
For more information, and access to the nomination form, please click here.